Information about Taiwan
- Area: total: 35,980 km² (land: 32,260 km² water: 3,720 km²)
- Population: 23,113,901 (July 2012)
- Capital: Taipei
- Language: Mandarin Chinese (official), Taiwanese (Min), Hakka dialects
- Religion: Mixture of Buddhist and Taoist 93%, Christian 4.5%, other 2.5%
- Climate: tropical; marine; rainy season during southwest monsoon (June to August); cloudiness is persistent and extensive all year
- Time Zone: UTC/GMT +8hrs
- Currency: New Taiwan Dollar [TWD]
The islands of Taiwan are in Eastern Asia, bordering the East China Sea, Philippine Sea, South China Sea, and Taiwan Strait. Neighboring states include the People's Republic of China to the west, Japan to the east and northeast, and the Philippines to the south.
With a total of 1,566.3 km coastline, Taiwan does not share any borders with other countries.